Saturday, June 02, 2007

Credit Rating of Faculties

While teaching estimation of cost of debt, I often discuss about rating of companies and how the same affects the cost of capital of companies. I have a few amusing experience of how our students (who are now managers of banks) rate the faculties.

a) HDFC Bank told me that I do not deserve a Gold card and that I am only eligible for a silver card:). I told them get lost...

b) Citibank sent me a letter saying that I am not eligible for a Gold card (though I already have a gold card from Citibank) after almost a year of my applying for another card. Surprisingly I received the Card the next day after receiving the the first letter. :) The left hand there probably does not know what the right hand does.

c) ICICI Bank similarly refused me to give a Gold card on the ground that I am not eligible for it.

Given that all those individuals who rejected my application were MBAs, I wonder what our students think of us :)



Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter

9 Comments:

Blogger Naiyer Jawaid said...

Very funny...I also have some similar experiences. I think none of us have any pleasant experience with the way consumer banks work.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Mux said...

ha ha...

Sir, don't worry too much regarding your ratings...They are at the top as far as your students are concerned.. btw, i am also struggling to get a card from the same companies..guess it doesn't matter for them whether it is the faculty or the MBA..these guys are hopeless.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mux said...

Sorry..didn't introduced my self..Mukul garg..your student of 2005-07 batch..

9:44 AM  
Blogger Shion Guha said...

Prof Mohanty,

This is a very interesting anecdote. I am merely a BBA graduate (on my way to a PhD, hopefully, in management) but I still got a Gold Card from Citibank.

Maybe it was because I dealt with them in a rather overbearing manner? Individual dynamics et al as we are taught in OB class?

6:39 AM  
Blogger Economicus said...

very interesting. it seems very difficult to get a credit card. i suppose there are serious information asymmetries -- i wonder if India gets a consumer credit aggregating agency (like equifax) if things will get better. of course here in the US people thought that there was less information asymmetry than there actually was...so kind of a reverse problem!

11:45 AM  
Blogger VEDANK said...

I have a different story.
I am a student but I own a citibank credit card. The only document i had submitted was my driving licence. I dont pay income tax. even i dont have a pan card.
On top of that they have increased my credit limit from one lakh to 2.25 lakkhs over a period of one year time.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Karan Mehta said...

Hello Sir,

Let me first introduce myself. I'm Karan Mehta. I am going to join the XL (BM) batch 2009-11 from this June onwards :)

Right now I'm working in a hardware firm for only the past 9 months and soon after getting into the company, I got the Axis Bank Platinum Credit Card. I wonder how these people do their ratings.

Anyways, looking forward to meet you and learn a lot from you.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Aravindan said...

Sir, Its been a very long time since last updation in the blog. Its a great read - the blog.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Clara Mellor said...

Trend in FII flows: The FIIs were net buyers of Rs -1983.39 the cash segment on Monday while the DIIs were net sellers of Rs 474.72 as per the provisional figures.capitalstars

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web pitabasm.blogspot.com